One of the best ways to unite adolescents from different backgrounds is through sportsmanship. The Emmarentia Sporting Football Club (ESFC) in Johannesburg fosters young players with a passion for soccer, recreation and teamwork. Established in 2010, the community-based football club boasts 250 members from the surrounding areas of Greenside, Linden, Victory Park, Emmarentia and Parkview. A few of these talented players hail from disadvantaged backgrounds and lack the finances required for the club’s monthly fees.
Their enthusiasm and fondness for the game have not gone unnoticed. The coaches at Emmarentia Sporting Football Club recognise the unlimited potential in these children and teens, and aspire to do everything they can to help them stay in the game. ESFC aims to keep kids off the streets and encourages positive interaction through sports. Presently, the U17 and U19 teams are facing the harsh reality of possibly closing down, owing to the fact that these teams are made up of a majority of players who come from disadvantaged backgrounds. As a result, they are unable to pay the league fees. Therefore, the club collaborated with Texakhana Spur in Rosebank, and various other sponsors to host a fundraising event in aid of the soccer players.
The Spur Shadow Shift Evening took place on 19 August 2018, when avid fans of the sport and club members gathered for a fun and delicious fundraiser. They were intent on getting as many customers through the doors as possible because Texakhana Spur kindly offered to donate a portion of their income made between 6pm and 9pm.
The local community banded their skills, products and services together to arrange a raffle giveaway at the event. A few generous individuals who went out of their way to help the cause were:
- Muazz Docrat – Emmarentia Sporting Football Club technical manager (Organiser)
- Nazia Wadee – Miss Earth South Africa 2018 finalist and Miss Teen Commonwealth 2016 (Organiser)
- Ebrahim Seedat – Fundraiser host
- Zaheera Bayat – Z B Style and Image Studio (Raffle prize sponsor)
- Narita Pursad – Tasvir Photography (Photographer for the event and raffle prize sponsor)
- Amit Parbhucharan – Gandhi Walk Committee member
- Mohammed Karani – Treasurer
- Farhad Haffejee – Deputy Chairperson
- Saffiyah Sarfudien – Club Secretary
- Hoosein Sarfers – Emmarentia Sporting Football Club head coach
- Zane Abrahams – Emmarentia Sporting Football Club chairperson
The exciting raffle giveaway included:
- Club kits to the value of R500
- A photoshoot with Tasvir Photography valued at R 1000
- A vanilla chiffon cake to the value of R500 from 21 Truffles Haute Confectionary
- A voucher to the value of R1000 from Z B Style & Image Studio
The club’s players and coaches, as well as all the aforementioned patrons volunteered their time to support the cause. The teens assisted by shadowing the waiters, selling raffle tickets and accepting donations. The coaches, along with chairperson Zane Abrahams and head coach Hoosein Saffrudin, honourably drove the fundraiser owing to their love and passion for the beautiful game.
ESFC is grateful for the incredible support they received. The proceeds from the fundraiser will help fund all the sporting needs of the underprivileged players in the club. These future soccer stars will now have the opportunity to continue playing the game they love.
Emmarentia Sporting Football Club encourages all kids – both boys and girls from age 6 – to participate in the sport to break down the race, gender, religious, cultural and socio-economic barriers that may exist in our communities.
The club resides on the belief that “No talented and passionate player should not be afforded the opportunity to play the game they love based on lack of funding. We are dedicated to raising the necessary funds to keep our boys on the field, playing the game they love.”
Show your support for their cause by making a cash donation.
Emmarentia Sporting Football Club
Branch no.: 253705
Account: 6225 71 76 3 23