Posts

Toilets for South Africa’s Most Vulnerable

Pit toilets are still a reality in South Africa and many schools are still using this system due to a lack of resources. Use of these toilets has resulted in physical injury, illness and in a few cases, the deaths of learners.

According to statistics from the Department of Basic Education briefing on the 7th of November 2018, out of the country’s 23 334 active schools, 3 898 still had pit latrines as the only form of sanitation.

The Jamiatul Ulama South Africa partnered with the Gift of the Givers and launched a campaign to eradicate pit toilets from South African schools. The President of the country himself, Mr Cyril Ramaphosa, called upon the private sector and other stakeholders to join forces with the government to eradicate this problem.

In term two, Qurtuba Islamic Academy embarked on a fund-raising initiative to assist their brothers and sisters in education. Their aim was to help make a difference by providing six cubicle toilets to a school in urgent need, by providing an environment where learners are educated with dignity.

Juluka Ndoda Primary School in the Kwadudela area of Howick, has for years been subjected to toilet facilities which were in an appalling state. Juluka Ndoda is a top performing school with more than 700 pupils attending from Grade R to Grade 7, but with toilet facilities that were no longer fit for use. The KwaZulu Natal Department of Public Works, which is responsible for the school’s buildings had conducted site visits and deemed the facilities unfit.

On the 12th of September 2019, the Jamiatul Ulama South Africa together with Qurtuba Islamic Academy and Gift of the Givers handed over newly built toilet cubicles to the school. The pupils also received little gift packs of sweets and stationery, and were given important advice on hygiene and academic excellence.

Learners and teachers at Juluka Ndoda Primary School have expressed their gratitude for the 12 toilet cubicles that will now allow them to concentrate on the important work of learning.

Follow Qurtuba Islamic Academy to see the work they are doing:

Instagram – @qurtubaislamicacademy

Facebook – @qurtubaislamicacademy

Twitter – @QurtubaIA

 

How can you help?

By donating towards this life changing project.

For more information or to contribute:
Contact Ml Asad Pandor – apandor@jamiatsa.org

or

make a deposit into their account:

Name: Jamiatul Ulama South Africa Relief

Bank: Nedbank Fordsburg

Branch code: 198 765

Account Number: 1953 285 937

Reference: Your name/Toilets 4 schools

Lillah and Sadaqah applicable

A candle in the winds of destruction

For security guard, Aram Morapa, living in a shack when the cold arrives is cause for plenty of concern. Little did he realise that the cold weather on the morning of Wednesday 2nd October 2019 would play a role in the loss of all his possessions, and the tragic loss of his elderly neighbour.
Aram lived in a warehouse in Marlboro that housed approximately 102 people in an estimated 45 shacks.

Aram Morapa

At approximately 7.45pm Aram and his wife heard his neighbour’s cries of “fire, fire”. He exited his shack and saw his neighbour’s shack engulfed in flames. The residents tried throwing buckets of water to douse the fire, but it was too late. The fire had spread fast to the shacks attached and engulfed them too.
Aram’s wife, Nomsa, managed to get out while Aram tried to salvage a blanket from the shack to cover her and offer some form of protection from the cold. He was too late, the fire had ravaged his shack and all he could do was head for the exit.

Nomsa Morapa

“The flames were coming too fast, I left the blankets and ran,” Aram says. “I found the exit was full of fire. I saw the steps going up and I saw my neighbour running, so I followed him. We found an exit upstairs and I was the last person out. Everybody made it except an old man in his seventies.”


Everything was gone except what he was wearing and his cell phone in his pocket. Through the kindness of friends, family and anonymous donors Aram and his wife have some essentials to help them on their road to recovery.
City of Johannesburg Disaster Management Logistics Response and Relief were quick to respond and sought the help of various aid organisations such as Marlboro Women’s Forum, Al-Imdaad and Gift of the Givers, to donate food, blankets and other health items. Ashraful Aid and Linbro Islamic Trust additionally offered hot meals to the victims in the evenings.


It is alleged that the fire was started by a candle that got knocked over and ignited a blanket, and an investigation is currently under way.
“Be very careful. We have been using paraffin for two weeks because we haven’t had electricity,” Aram advises. “If you are using candles, do what you need to do then extinguish it. Never leave a candle unattended as an animal or child can knock it down, we have to think for them. If you are drunk, don’t light anything.”